Fazer completes the acquisition of Trensums Food AB
tisdag 1 mars, 2022
Fazer Group has completed the acquisition of the Swedish food company Trensums Food AB. The transaction has been approved by the Swedish Competition Authority. Trensums Food is one of the leading producers of plant-based drinks in Europe, with a strategic focus on oat drinks. This acquisition is a further step in the implementation of Fazer’s growth strategy and the ambition to become one of the leading players in nondairy and plant-based markets in Northern Europe.
The global demand for oat drinks continues to grow due to the good taste as well as low environmental impact of the products. With its sizeable capacity, efficient operations, and state-of-the-art production Trensums is well positioned to meet the growing demand for oat drinks. Trensums Food is a growth company and has continuously invested in oat-drink production capacity in line with increasing demand.
Fazer Group has acquired 100% of Trensums Food. All employees currently employed by Trensums Food continue as employees of Fazer Group. The company will become part of the Fazer Lifestyle Foods Business Area, which focuses on oat-based non-dairy products, breakfast products, fruit-based snacks, plant-based meals and foodtech.
Christoph Vitzthum, President and CEO, Fazer Group says: “We are pleased to announce that the acquisition of Trensums Food AB has been completed. Trensums Food AB is a perfect match for Fazer in executing our growth strategy. The acquisition will multiply our oat drink production capacity, and it provides Fazer a platform for further growth and access to new non-dairy markets. With its long history in oat drinks, Trensums Food will also offer us extensive manufacturing and R&D expertise to further strengthen Fazer’s already strong know-how in oats.”
Fazer sees great potential in Nordic oats
Over the last three years, Fazer has invested a total of approximately EUR 200 million in its home markets. Most of the investments have been made in developing the oats business of the company. Nutritionally rich and sustainable Nordic oats are considered the best in the world due to the special growing conditions found nowhere else in the world.
“We have great growth expectations for the non-dairy category, and we highly value the expertise of the Trensums team which will add to our already strong knowhow. Demand for oats is growing strongly, and we want to embrace a plant-based lifestyle to promote people´s well-being and – at the same time do good for the planet,” Christoph Vitzthum continues.
Fazer Lifestyle Foods in brief
- Fazer Group´s Business Area focusing on non-dairy foods and drinks, plant-based meals, fruit smoothies, breakfast products, flours, mixes and Foodtech
- Established in 2017
- Net sales 180 MEUR in 2021
- Approximately 500 employees
- Brands: Fazer Willja, Fazer Alku, Fazer Yosa, Fazer Aito, Froosh and Frebaco
- Operates in all Nordic countries
Trensums Food AB in brief
- A Swedish market-leading producer of plant-based drinks, with a strategic focus on oat drinks.
- Established in 1948
- Generated 779 MSEK (about 77 MEUR) of net sales in the fiscal year ending April 2021
- Approximately 180 employees
- Located in Tingsryd, southern Sweden
- Was the first one in the world to commercially produce oat drinks at the beginning of the nineties.
- Today, it sells and delivers its products all around the world.
- Currently investing in additional non-dairy capacity, to be ramped up during 2022
Anniina Niemistö, VP, Communications, Fazer Lifestyle Foods,
firstname.lastname@example.org , tel. +358 40 67 44 672
Fazer media service, tel +358 40 668 2998